Movies reviews with matching food – eat, watch, enjoy
Ok, there are two ways to approach your film selection when feeling blue. On these foul days you either feel like something stupid and fun or something really sad; an empathy movie.
* Stupid movies for pepping purpose:
1. Romantic movies can melt your sad, cold heart on a rainy day. They give you hope, whether it be false or not, it doesn’t matter. What is important is that in this fictional realm, the sun comes out and all is resolved, happy and peaceful at the end. For example (and the list is endless here), Pretty Woman, Dirty Dancing, How to lose a Guy in 10 days, Sweet Home Alabama, Sabrina, Breakfast at Tiffanys dot dot dot. They all show trauma and conflict in romantic situations. Love always wins out, there’s your sunshine, happy days.
2. Really stupid, slapstick movies knock the melancholy right out of you. They MAKE you laugh. Any Austin Powers, Dumb and Dumber, Naked Gun, There’s Something About Mary will fill this role nicely. There’s nothing like the humiliation of fictional characters to make you feel better about yourself!
These movies give you perspective and an outlet for all your sighs. ‘Tis better to laugh than cry anyway.
* Tear jerkers, hanky soakers, depressing, empathy movies to make you feel normal.
– If you must cry, cry at something sadder than your sadness. Sad movies were made for such days. It will either be fantastic and FREE therapy, or something that will make you feel worse. But if you’re into experimentation, give it a go!
Top Ten Tear Jerkers (in no particular order, cos who in their right mind could order such a list?):
2. The Notebook
4. Steel Magnolias
5. The Pusuit of Happyness (of course!)
6. Schindler’s List
7. Life is Beautiful
8. Rabbit Proof Fence
9. Pay it Forward
10. The Elephant Man
This was a hard list to make! Wow, so many sad movies to choose from.
On your next sad day, when you have the blues and the time to indulge them, crack open some Cadbury’s best, grab a tissue and pop on one of those beauties.
What are some of your favourite tear jerkers?